International Seminar ON MEDIATION/3
Theory and curatorial practices in the global age
The research group AGI presents the third edition of the training seminar ON MEDIATION, whose the two first editions gathered more than 60 participants from 11 different countries who were asked to generate four different curatorial projects in collaboration with the platform iDENSITAT, the Fundació Antoni Tàpies archive, the Fundació Guasch Coranty, ADN Platform and the Cercle Artistic Sant Lluc. These projects were the result from the need to offer a university training program that is able to provide both theoretical and practical tools for the creation process of an exhibition.
From the research group AGI and as a result of the recent profesionalization of the figure of the curator, we believe it is necessary to detail the results from contemporary curatorial practices understood as a mediation mechanism, ‘thinking beyond the specialized role’ and creating a space for debate ‘on the cultural location of this mediation’ (Lars Bang Larsen & Soren Andresen, 2006).
ON MEDIATION/3 Theory and Curatorial Practices in the Global Art, is a theoretical and practical training seminar, where various perspectives are addressed in order to identify different methodologies to promote the curatorial practice towards a multidisciplinary scenario. Thus, the seminar will be organized through a first theoretical phase of lectures led by curators of recognized international experience and a second practice phase where participants, by previous selection, can develop the ideas put forth by the mentored curatorial projects that will be presented in àngels barcelona-espai 2 in Spring 2016.
This seminar is open to artists, curators, critics, students, researchers and other collectives interested in developing their curatorial concerns beyond the disciplinary scope, deepening the practice of cultural mediation and questioning imposed models. All registered participants will receive a certificate of attendance, online work materials, personalized tutoring and specific monitoring of curatorial projects.
November 4 2015 – February 18 2016
30 training hours (10 sessions of three hours each) Wednesday from 18 to 21h. Mandatory sessions
Language: Spanish or English (according on the guests)
Location: Facultad de Geografía e Historia UB (Montalegre 6, Barcelona). Room 402.
Direction: Anna María Guasch
Coordination: Christian Alonso, Diana Padrón and Olga Sureda
10 scheduled sessions are divided into 3 sections: Introduction to Curatorial Practices, Cases of Study’s Modules focusing on Curatorial Theory and Practice; and complementary activities (see Program of Theoretical Sessions)
Registration (from October 6 2015)
275 € students / 325 € general
To register complete the form here and send an email to email@example.com with a brief CV attached.
Direction: Martí Peran
Coordination: Christian Alonso, Olga Sureda and Pablo Santa Olalla
Final calendar to be decided. A working team will be organized to generate a curatorial project to be hosted in àngels barcelona – espai 2 . Each group should cover all phases of the project (conceptualization, coordination, implementation and dissemination).
Registration (February 2016)
190 € students /225 € general
Selection process according to motivation letter, a brief CV and certificate of attendance to the Theoretical Phase.
To register send a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
PROGRAM OF THEORETICAL SESSIONS
Introduction: ON MEDIATION/3
1. Introduction by Anna Maria Guasch and Martí Peran. Presentation of the structure of the seminar by the coordinators and introduction of the participants. November 4.
2. Session by Anna Maria Guasch and Martí Peran. Keynote: Curatorial turns in contemporary art. November 11
3. Workshop-Laboratory by Oriol Fontdevila. Art critic and independant curator. November 12
4. Session by Nuria Enguita. Co-editorr of Afterall’s magazine and independent curator.
Moderator: Olga Sureda. November 18
5. Session by Raimundas Malašauskas. Writer and independent curator.
Moderator: Christian Alonso. November 25
6. Round Table: Sustaining community-based curatorial practices: DAFO, Espai Colona, The Green Parrot and Halfhouse. Moderator: Olga Sureda. December 2
7. Session by Orlando Britto. Art critic and independant curator.
Moderator: Diana Padrón. December 9
8. Papers session (optional) with an Evaluation Commitee at àngels barcelona – espai 2. December 17
9. Training seminar for OM/3 participants (12-2pm) and Conference (open session to general public, 7pm) leaded by an internationally renowned curator. The name will be announced opportunely. (Date to be confirmed). Fundació Antoni Tàpies.
10. Training seminar with Anton Vidokle. Training seminar for OM/3 participants; 12-2pm
Session by Anton Vidokle. Artist, curator and founder of e-flux magazine. Open session to general public.7pm. February 18, Arts Santa Mónica.
To download the complete program link here
– ON MEDIATION. Platform on curatorship & research (OM)
– Art, Globalization, Interculyurality (AGI).
Departament d´Història de l´Art. Facultat de Geografia i Història.
Universitat de Barcelona
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH:
–Arts Santa Mònica
–Fundació Antoni Tàpies
Copyright © 2015 ON MEDIATION/2, All rights reserved.
ON MEDIATION/3 is part of the Research Projects CARTOGRAFÍA CRÍTICA DEL ARTE Y LA VISUALIDAD EN LA ERA GLOBAL: NUEVAS METODOLOGÍAS, CONCEPTOS Y ENFOQUES ANALITICOS II PARTE (HAR2013-43122P) and ART, GLOBALITZACIÓ, INTERCULTURALITAT (AGI/ART) (2014 SGR 1050)